Objective of the Department
To contribute and promote safe implementation of
- Impart knowledge of Genetics in exploring the secrets of genes and genomes.
- Applications of biotechnology for solving the issues related to food security, health and environment.
- Issues pertaining to ethical standards, biosafety and other socio-economic needs.
About Department of Biotechnology and Genetics
Biotechnology is the application of the principles of engineering and biological sciences to create new products from raw materials of biological origin. It uses living organisms or their products to modify or improve human health, environment and entire ecosystem. Study of biotechnology is essential to enhance the skillset of students and to harness the living systems for the benefit of mankind and to address the issues of human and environment.
- Dawn of the biotechnology dates back to several thousand years, when humans adopted nomadic to agrarian life style.
- Start of “Department of Biotechnology and Applied Genetics” in the MSRCASC, established in the year 2000 offering both UG and PG programmes
- The main objectives of the programmes is to provide conducive learning environment for the students and to mitigate the shortage of biotechnologists in the field of food, agriculture, medicine and environmental management.
- Highly qualified and experienced faculty members deliver the lectures and conduct the practicals in various subjects of curriculum developed by the Bangalore University.
- The department focusses mainly on teaching the basics, applications and hands-on-training in a state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory environment. It also facilitates students to broaden their knowledge for multitasking opportunities by conducting various co- and extracurricular activities.
- B.Sc. (Biotechnology/Microbiology/Chemistry)
- B.Sc. (Genetics/Microbiology/Biochemistry)
Eligibility for B.Sc Program: Pass in II PUC/Intermediate/Std 12 examination of any equivalent board in Science stream with a Biology.
- M.Sc. Biotechnology
Eligibility for M.Sc Program: B.Sc Degree of Bangalore University or any other University equivalent there to with any LIFE SCIENCE subject securing 50% marks in aggregate of all Optional Subjects.
Candidates who have passed B.Sc.,, Biotechnology/B.Sc Biotechnology (integrated) and Secured 50% marks in the aggregate.
Candidates who have passed B.Sc Hons in Biotechnolgy, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, or Biology are also eligible with 50% marks in aggregate of all the optional subject.
The following Graduates are also eligible (in absence of I, II, III above) with 50% marks in aggregate
Bachelor in Agricultural sciences/Dairy Sciences/Horticulture/Forestry/Fisheries/Pharmacy/Engineering (Bio-Technology)/Medicine/Dental/Agricultural Engineering/Clinical Lab Techniques
Areas of Research
- Molecular cell biology
- Plant and Industrial Biotechnology
- Genetics and Molecular Evolution
- Proteomics and Gerontology
- Neurobiology and Nutraceuticals
- Genetic engineering and Environmental biotechnology
- Cancer Biology
- International Guest lecture on “Proton Beam therapy: Clinical and Research Perspective” by Prof. Michael Taylor, University of Manchester, England, UK on 03.02.2020 at Sri Visvesvaraya Auditorium, RCASC, Bengaluru.
- Technical workshop on “Next Generation Sequencing, Technology, Application and Analysis” by Dr. G. Venkatesh and M.D. Rehman., Genotypic Technologies, Private Ltd, Bengaluruon 01-10-2019.
- Guest lecture on “Are lipids to be blamed for our diseases?” by Dr. Cletus J.M. D’Souza, Adjunct Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Mangalore University on 18-10-2019.
- Guest lecture on “Recent Trends in Engineering of Recombinant” by Dr. Sampathkumar S. Research Scientist, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, NCBS Campus, Bengaluruon 28-08-2019.