- The department of chemistry was established in the year of 1994 with a student strength of 14 & at present with a strength of around 700.
- The department has well qualified & experienced faculties with rich academic background and their innovative skills ensure quality education. Students will be guided to understand chemistry & biochemistry by participating in research projects & will be trained to obtain application capabilities that will serve as a foundation for academic research as well as industrial development.
- Providing study-centered environment and world class faculty community to ignite the young minds with inquisitiveness.
- Preparing the students for balancing both theoretical learning and training for experimental methods as per the curriculum.
- Encouraging students towards independent scientific idea generation in form of writing and oral presentation.
- Emphasizing the fundamental understanding in chemical, physical and biological principles, effective application of scientific method, critical thinking, quantitative analysis and intensive experimental learning activities.
1. B.Sc – Genetics/Biochemistry/Microbiology No. of Seats: 60
Eligibility: Pass in II PUC/Intermediate/Std 12 examination of any equivalent board in science stream with a Biology
2. B.Sc – Biotechnology/Chemistry/Microbiology No. of Seats: 160.
Eligibility: Pass in II PUC/Intermediate/Std 12 examination of any equivalent board science stream with a Biology
3. M.Sc – Biochemistry No. of Seats: 15
Eligibility: Candidate must have secured 40% in aggregate and studied Chemistry or Biochemistry as one of the cognate subjects securing 50% marks at B.Sc level and studied Biology in Pre-University or 10+2 level.
4 M.Sc – Organic Chemistry No. of Seats: 20
Eligibility: Candidate must have secured 40% marks in aggregate and studied Chemistry (Cognate subject) securing 50% marks in this subject at B.Sc level and studied Mathematics in Pre-University or 10+2 level.
Strength of the Department
- Department is collaborated with Ramaiah Medical College and Hospitals (RMCH), Bangalore; C.V.R. Foods Products, Tamilnadu; Institute of Wood Science Technology, Bangalore for conducting research, add-on/value added courses and faculty trainings.
- Department is collaborated with Biocon Academy, Bangalore; and Pharma Training Institute, Bangalore to give job-oriented training to the UG/PG students.
- UG/PG Students are encouraged to do academic research project, sponsored research projects from Indian Academy of Sciences (As summer research fellows) and also for internships in reputed industries.
Value added/add-on courses
1. Advanced Clinical Biochemistry at Metropolis Labs Pvt. Ltd., RMCH, Bangalore for M.Sc Biochemistry.
2. Advanced Chromatographic Techniques at Ramaiah Advanced Testing Laboratory, Bangalore for M.Sc Chemistry.
3. Phytochemical Techniques at Institute of Wood Science Technology, Bangalore for M.Sc Biochemistry.
1. Clinical Biochemistry
2. Biocon-Ramaiah Certificate Program in Quality Control Analytical (QCA) -8 Weeks certificate programme for Post Graduate Chemistry/Biochemistry students in collaboration with Biocon Academy, Bangalore
Research Thrust Areas
- Bio-inorganic Chemistry
- Cancer Cell Biology
- Environmental remediation
- Experimental Diabetes mellitus
- Lung fibrosis
- Mammalian infertility
- Material science-pervoskite materials
- Molecular signal transduction
- Reproductive and developmental Biology
- Synthetic chemistry