Objectives of the Department
- To provide proficient scientific and technical knowledge to students.
- To train students in the field of Microbiology, provide value based education with innovative research.
- To undertake research activities relevant to present day needs.
The Department of Microbiology was established in 1999 offer both undergraduate and postgraduate program. Microbiology is an important wide ranging subject comprises of various sub-disciplines in biosciences which covers wide variety of subjects including Virology, bacteriology, mycology, phycology, parasitology, human health, environmental, agricultural, industrial applications and also includes complete knowledge in molecular biology, genetic engineering, bioinformatics.
Highly qualified faculty members assigned with various theory and practicals, emphasize on ‘learning’ of the students. The lectures lay emphasis on Knowledge content (topics in the curriculum), Utility value – application in real life, latest developments etc. The Department is undertaking research projects of national importance in the field of microbiology and attracted funds from various agencies. Through the consistent effort of our faculty we have obtained many University ranks, 90-100% results both in UG and PG courses consistently. Our students have been placed in various companies and many of them are pursuing their higher education in various universities in India and abroad. We encourage students in doing research, present papers in National and international conferences, publish their findings in Journals of repute and also participate in co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
The Department has very good infrastructural facilities to carry out teaching and research activities. Three laboratories for teaching, one lab for research with separate Algae and Fungal growth rooms and have been provided with all the facilities required for their growth. Laboratories are equipped with microscopes,thermocycler, UV spectrophotometer, autoclaves, hot air ovens, Bacteriological incubators, BOD incubators, shaker incubators, laminar air flow units, Electrophoresis units, blotting apparatus, transilluminator, TLC instruments, deep freezers, cooling centrifuge, refrigerators, soxhlet apparatus.
- BSc (Microbiology/Biotechnology/Chemistry)
- Eligibility: Pass in II PUC/Intermediate/Std 12 examination of any equivalent board in Science stream with a Biology
- BSc (Microbiology/Genetics/Biochemistry)
- Eligibility: Passin II PUC/Intermediate/Std 12 examination of any equivalent board in Science stream with a Biology
- MSc : Microbiology
- Eligibility: BSc Degree of Bangalore University or any other University equivalent there to with any LIFE SCIENCE subject securing 50% marks in aggregate of all Optional Subjects.
- Candidates who have passed B.Sc.,, Biotechnology/B.Sc Biotechnology (integrated) and Secured 50% marks in the aggregate.
- Candidates who have passed B.Sc Hons in Biotechnolgy, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, or Biology are also eligible with 50% marks in aggregate of all the optional subject.
- The following Graduates are also eligible (in absence of I, II, III above) with 50% marks in aggregate
- Bachelor in Agricultural sciences/Dairy Sciences/Horticulture/Forestry/Fisheries/Pharmacy/Engineering (Bio-Technology)/Medicine/Dental/Agricultural Engineering/Clinical Lab Techniques
Add-on courses offered:
- Basic techniques in Molecular Biology
- Basic techniques in DNA Cloning
- Basic tools in Bioinformatics
- Basic tools in Bacterial Genomics
- Concepts and methods in molecular virology
- Analytical techniques in Bacterial Proteomics
Certificate course– Bioinoculants
Add-on course for interdisciplinary department–
Wine Production technology/ Mushroom Production Technology
Thrust areas of research
- Microbial diversity and their applications
- Molecular modeling and Drug designing
- Food technology
- Cancer technology
- Organized World AIDS Day – Awareness Programme on AIDS on 1st December 2019
- Organized Symposium on Nanotechnology- fundamentals, applications and commercialization on 19-09-2019
- Organized Work shop on Flow cytometry on 3-09-2019 and 16-09-2019